Choosing an online stock broker is one of the most important decisions you'll make as in investor. Every client has a different investment style that can help determine which online broker may be the best fit.
The staff at StockBrokers.com has compiled a quick review of the 10 top online stock brokers. Every broker is known for something different which makes it unique to its competitors. The goal of this review is to exploit those unique factors whether it be discounted trades, great customer service, or an overall highly rated platform.
Alongside reviewing the broker recommendations below, we recommend reading our 2014 Online Broker Review and our full Stock Broker Reviews on the site.
Published by Brandon Reinkensmeyer on Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 .
1. TD Ameritrade - Rated #1 Online Broker Overall in our 2014 Review, TD Ameritrade offers one of the largest varieties of trade tools through its desktop based Thinkorswim and web based Trade Architect platforms. The broker also boasts Best in Class ratings for numerous categories including Research and Customer Service.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Trade free for 90 days + get up to $600 cash.
2. ETRADE- ETRADE was voted the #1 Online Broker in our 2011 Review, finishing 2nd in 2013 and 2012 after very close finishes. ETRADE Mobile Pro offers arguably the best mobile trading platform today and the broker offers great access to quality research, trade tools, education, and more. A very well rounded broker to say the least.
Current Offer: Trade free for 60 days + get up to $600 with your new account!
3. Charles Schwab - In 2014 they were rated 4.5 Stars Overall and #1 for Retirement Services. Extensive research access along with solid costumer service and banking services, a great full service brokerage. Charles Schwab will not disappoint.
Current Offer: Earn 300 Commission-Free Online Trades.
4. TradeKing - Rated as the 4.5 Stars for Customer Service 2014. Their online investor community, the Trader Network, is home to over 500,000 traders sharing ideas and research. For investors looking for discounted stock trades and fantastic customer service, TradeKing is a great match.
Current Offer: Get $150 in transfer fees refunded.
5. OptionsHouse - Offers $4.75 flat fee stock trades and options trades for either "$8.50 + $.15 per contract" or "up to 5 contracts for $5". OptionsHouse was the only broker in 2012 to receive 5 Star Ratings for both Ease of Use and Commissions & Fees in our StockBrokers.com Review.
Current Offer: Get a Free iPad Mini.
6. OptionsXpress - Acquired by Charles Schwab in 2011, OptionsXpress is known for its feature rich platform, Xtend, and large variety of quality tools for options traders. The broker also provides their clients with a wide spectrum of investments including equities, options, mutual funds, futures, ETFs, and bonds.
Current Offer: Receive 50 Free Trades with any new account.
7. Scottrade - Offers its clients $7 flat fee trades and over 500 local branch offices. Scottrade is an easy to use broker that makes the client experience fantastic as clients have access to live representatitive assistance throughout the day. The broker also offers real-time streaming watch lists alongside a variety of other tools and research.
Current Offer: Get $100 in transfer fees refunded.
8. tradeMONSTER - Receiving #1 Trade Platform for Options Trading in 2014, tradeMONSTER gives clients access to an easy to use platform with a diverse selection of options tool. They have a solid trade simulator, allowing clients to trade with virtual funds for practicing alongside making live trades.
Current Offer: Trade Free for 30 days.
9. MB Trading - Advanced trading platforms with direct market access to major indexes and two commissions plans with its flat rate plan offering $4.95 equity trade commissions. Designed for active traders, the broker not only supports stocks and options trading, but also forex, futures, and was rated #1 Overall for Forex Trading in our 2011 Forex Review.
Current Offer: 100 free trades.
10. Interactive Brokers - Designed for seasoned investors who trade for a living alongside International clients, Interactive Brokers stands out with equity trades costing just $.005 per share with a minimum of $1.00 and a maximum of .5% of trade value. The broker also offers clients access to 80 different exchanges worldwide for International Trading. The broker requires a $10,000 minimum deposit for new clients.
When looking for any new online stock broker it is important to make sure to meet your most important needs as an investor. Are low cost trade commissions most important? What about customer service, the trade platform, mobile trading, active trading, or a community to trade alongside? With many brokers specializing in different areas comparing all the possibilities is key.
To read full broker reviews of the above brokers, you can do so by visiting their respective review pages here on StockBrokers.com: TD Ametirade Review, Etrade Review, TradeKing Review, OptionsHouse Review, MB Trading Review, Scottrade Review, OptionsXpress Review, tradeMONSTER review, Zecco Review, Interactive Brokers Review.
Compare online brokers with the stock brokers comparison chart! Included are easy to read star ratings, pricing and fees information, and even a features overview section to see what every broker has to offer.
If you need help decided which broker to choose or have a broker specific questions please feel free to email our team.