Offers in-house mutual funds and ETFs with low management fees.
Extremely expensive commissions for clients that don't meet required portfolio values; no live chat support and email support slow to respond; not designed for the active online investor
We do not recommend this broker.
|Commissions & Fees||N/A|
|Platform & Tools||N/A|
|Ease of Use||N/A|
2014 Review Star Ratings
N/A - Not Applicable
N/R - Not Ranked in Top 10
N/A - Not Applicable
Compare Vanguard to Key Competitors
Trade Commissions Breakdown
|$7.00||Flat-Fee Trade Plan*|
|N/A||Per-Share Trade Plan|
|$20.00||Options Base Trade Fee*|
|N/A||Options Exercise Fee|
|N/A||Options Assignment Fee|
|$35.00||Mutual Fund Trade Fee|
|$7.00||Broker Assisted Trade Fee|
|0.00%||$25,000.00 to $49,999.99|
|0.00%||$50,000.00 to $99,999.99|
|0.00%||$100,000.00 to $249,999.99|
|0.00%||$250,000.00 to $499,999.99|
|0.00%||$500,000.00 to $999,999.99|
|N/A||Bond Trade Fee|
|N/A||Treasury Trade Fee|
|N/A||Certificate of Deposit (CD) Trade Fee|
|N/A||Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Phone Trade Fee|
|N/A||IRA Annual Fee|
|N/A||IRA Closure Fee|
|N/A||Forced-Margin Sellout Fee|
|N/A||Returned ACH Fee|
|N/A||Returned Wire Transfer Fee|
|N/A||Stock Certificate Processing Fee|
|N/A||Stock Certificate Delivery Fee|
|N/A||Paper Statement Fee|
|N/A||Paper Confirmation Fee|
|N/A||Outgoing Domestic Wire Transfer Fee|
|N/A||Outgoing International Wire Transfer Fee|
Commission NotesVanguard commissions details below:
Stock Trades - Vanguard offers different commissions rates depending on the size of the portfolio. These rates are broken down below:
- Less than $50,000 (Standard) = $7 for first 25 trades, $20 for each trade thereafter (yearly). There is also a $20 per year account service fee charged.
- $50,000 - $500,000 (Voyager) = $7 per trade.
- $500,000 - $1 million (Voyager Select) = $2 per trade.
- $1 million plus (Flagship) = First 25 trades free, $2 for each trade thereafter (yearly)
- Less than $50,000 (Standard) = $20 + $1.00 per contract. Excercise & assignments are $20 + $.01 per share.
- $50,000 - $500,000 (Voyager) = $7 + $1.00 per contract. Excercise & assignments are $7 + $.01 per share.
- $500,000 - $1 million (Voyager Select) = $2+ $1.00 per contract. Excercise & assignments are $2 + $.01 per share.
- $1 million plus (Flagship) =$2+ $1.00 per contract. Excercise & assignments are $2 + $.01 per share.
There is $3,000 minimum investment for most funds with $1,000 minimum reinvestments thereafter. There is also a 1% sale charge of the proceeds ($50 minimum, $250 maximum) for shares held less than 180 days.
Other Investments - Vanguard does not support futures and forex.
Misc. Account Information
|N/A||No. of Commission-Free ETFs|
|N/A||No. of Retail Locations|
|N/A||No. of Mutual Funds (w/ Load)|
|N/A||No. of Mutual Funds (No Load)|
|N/A||No. of 3rd Party Research Report Providers|
|N/A||Max. No. of Legs (Complex Options)|
|No Minimum Deposit|
|No Maintenance Fees|
|Online Trader Community|
|Live Chat Support|
|24/7 Customer Support|
|Long Term Trading|
|Credit Card Accounts|
|Debit Card Accounts|
Trading Platform Features
|Web Browser Platform|
|Windows Desktop Platform|
|Mac Desktop Platform|
Active Trading Features
|Direct routing offered to clients|
|Broker receives payments for order flow|
|Broker internalizes trades|
|Clients receive rebates for adding liquidity|