By Blain Reinkensmeyer
February 18th, 2019
Last Updated: April 8th, 2019
The StockBrokers.com annual review (9 years running) takes six months to complete and produces over 30,000 words of research each year. Industry leaders trust us because our proprietary testing methodology is completely independent and unbiased.
On the surface, it is easy to understand what Just2Trade is trying to accomplish: being the ultimate value broker. The homepage hits on all the right catchphrases and keywords investors like to see.
Unfortunately, looks are deceiving. While Just2Trade does offer cheap trades, everything else about the client experience suffers, and in the end, clients are better off investing elsewhere.
Just2Trade offers discounted trades, but comprises the client experience across the board, cutting corners whenever possible and delivering a poor overall client experience not worth the cost savings.
- Low cost commissions structure.
- Poor customer service.
- Confusing site design.
- Too many platform options.
Commissions & Fees
Just2Trade's basic Per-Trade commission structure is straightforward and easy to understand. That said, there are one-off fees customers should be aware of (see below, "Considerations").
- $2.50 stock trades. $2.50 + $.50 per contract options trades.
- Just2Trade charges $2.50 per trade + $0.003 per share for any stocks trading under $1 per share or that are listed on the OTCBB.
- No commission-free ETFs are offered.
- There is an additional charge of $.003 per share for extended hours trading.
|Stock Trade Fee (flat)||$2.50|
|Options Base Fee||$2.50|
|Options Per Contract Fee||$0.50|
|Mutual Fund Trade Fee||$12.50|
Platforms & Tools
Just2Trade offers several platforms. The primary platform is web-based Just2Trade+, which is available to all customers at no charge. This is the platform I used for my testing. The platform doesn't come close to competing with the leaders in the industry, but it works and fits the mold of what one would expect with $2.50 trades.
- Just2Trade+ has the basics needed to trade: watch lists, charting, options chains, and an order ticket window make up the bulk of the experience.
- Options traders can view a basic option chain that includes all five Greeks (delta, gamma, theta, vega, rho), 22 optional columns, and quick analysis for pulling up profit & loss charts on the fly.
- No stock alerts can be set, hot keys are not supported (sorry active traders), and there are no trade idea generation tools available.
- Option chain columns cannot be custom ordered, the profit & loss charts can't be enlarged, advanced probability analysis can't be conducted, and only basic chains are available, so there is no viewing by strategy type.
- Just2Trade also offers Just2Trade Lite, Just2Trade Pro, and Sterling Trader. However, we found offering additional platforms to be confusing.
|Desktop Platform (Windows)||Yes|
|Watch Lists - Total Fields||18|
|Charting - Drawing Tools||29|
|Charting - Indicators / Studies||92|
|Option Chains - Total Columns||22|
Just2Trade attempts to include research for its customers; however, the offering is weak, to say the least.
- Basic stock quotes and company data provided.
- No third-party research reports.
- No research for ETFs, mutual funds, or bonds.
- No screening tools provided.
|Research - Stocks||Yes|
|Stock Research - Reports||0|
|Research - ETFs||No|
|Research - Mutual Funds||No|
|Research - Pink Sheets / OTCBB||No|
|Research - Fixed Income||No|
|Research - Futures||No|
|Research - Forex||No|
To score Customer Service, StockBrokers.com partners with customer experience research group Confero to conduct phone tests from locations throughout the United States. For our 2019 Broker Review, 300 customer service tests were conducted over ten weeks.
- Average Connection Time: <1 minute
- Average Net Promoter Score: 6.6 / 10
- Average Professionalism Score: 6.3 / 10
- Overall Score: 6.97 / 10
- Ranking: 14 th (16 brokers)
- View Infographic
Just2Trade offers a limited mobile app that provides a continuously frustrating experience. Bugs are frequent and functionality is lackluster.
- Watch lists include streaming real-time quotes.
- Ninety optional indicators available for charts; however, numerous indicators are buggy and do not work.
- Consistently buggy experience.
- Cannot pull up basic company information such as recent news or company data.
- Only basic stock and options trading supported.
- No Touch ID / Face ID support.
|Apple Watch App||No|
|Watch List Syncing||No|
|Stock Alerts - Basic Fields||No|
|Charting - After Hours||No|
Offering of Investments
Beyond a basic offering of stock and options trading, Just2Trade has little to offer investors.
- Options trading only supported up to two legs.
- Limited offering of mutual funds supported only by phoning in orders.
|OTCBB / Pink Sheets||Yes|
|Complex Options Max Legs||2|
|Mutual Funds (No Load)||3000|
Just2Trade offers no educational resources to customers.
- No education offered.
|Has Education - Stocks||No|
|Has Education - ETFs||No|
|Has Education - Options||No|
|Has Education - Mutual Funds||No|
|Has Education - Fixed Income||No|
|Has Education - Retirement||No|
Just2Trade's homepage suggest the site has everything a self-directed investor could want, but in reality, it falls well short of its goal.
If you can stomach having just enough to place trades and manage a basic portfolio, Just2Trade could be a viable option. For me, the savings per trade isn't worth it. Not even close.